Absences, Withdrawals, and Re-Enrollment

If you are a UMBC student, and are facing a situation that is causing you to consider multiple class absences, course/semester withdrawal, or an extended break from enrollment at UMBC, please review the Registrar’s Office’s Information About Withdrawal, Absences and Re-Enrollment. Depending on your situation, you may also wish to consult:

  • Your course syllabus
  • Your academic advisor
  • Your Financial Aid Counselor (assigned by the first letter of your last name)
  • UMBC Housing/Residential Life (if you live on campus)
  • International Education Services (for students attending UMBC on an F-1 Student Visa)
  • Academic Center for Student-Athletes (for students participating in NCAA sports)
  • Any other agency/office with which you have an agreement that takes your full-/part-time standing, continued enrollment, or academic progress into account (e.g., insurance, scholarships, loans, military benefits, etc.)


Parents and Families of UMBC students: In extenuating circumstances (e.g., serious illness or injury which prevents your student from making arrangements on his/her own), parents and families of students are encouraged to contact the Vice President’s Office for Student Affairs at families@umbc.edu or 410-455-2393. The Student Affairs staff is available to provide assistance and connect you with the appropriate campus resource.