Gather Additional Documentation to Bring With You

This may include:

  • Official score reports from AP, IB, or CLEP testing. Transfer students who applied AP/IB/CLEP credit to requirements at their previous institution should make sure to send their score reports directly to UMBC. UMBC’s credit eligibility standards for AP/IB/CLEP can be found here
  • Official/Unofficial transcripts from all previous institutions. This is particularly important for transfer students whose grades from their most recent semester at another institution have not been received and/or processed by UMBC.
  • Syllabi from all math and science courses taken at any 4 year and/or out-of-state institutions. If the student cannot locate a syllabi before their registration day, they should try to find a course description for each of their math/science courses. 
    • The syllabus may be needed to complete a “Course Review” which will help determine course equivalency between the previous institution and UMBC.
    • Transfer students can check UMBC’s Transfer Evaluation System (TES) database to see if any of the courses they are transferring are listed.
    • A course’s appearance in the TES database does not guarantee a particular course equivalency, but it can be used to give the student a sense of how their coursework may transfer.
    • If the syllabi or course descriptions are in a language other than English, the student should have them translated.


Students should make sure they can access these documents electronically, if any of the documentation above applies to them. The student should also make sure they have the correct username/password for websites that may contain such documentation (ex- database of former institution, College Board for AP scores, etc.). 



Important Fact


Official High School transcripts documenting your foreign language experience, if not already submitted. Information about Language Placement that is based on high school or AP scores can be found here. Students whose native language is something other than English may qualify for a Language Proficiency Waiver – see this information from the Department of Modern Languages, Linguistics, and Intercultural Communication for details on that process.