CNMS Advising remains committed to supporting students throughout this unprecedented campus closure and will be shifting all of our services to remote platforms.
FOR GENERAL QUESTIONS PLEASE EMAIL : CNMSAdvising@umbc.edu
CNMS Staff will monitor email messages 10AM – 4:00 PM Monday through Friday. Questions and requests will be routed to the appropriate staff member for response.
SPRING 2020 Grading Options (Pass/Fail) by Major
A Pass/Fail CAN be used for ALL major/minor requirements as well as for pre-requisites in BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, BIOCHEMISTRY, BIOLOGY & CHEMISTRY EDUCATION, & TRANSLATIONAL LIFE SCIENCES TECHNOLOGY.
A Pass/Fail CAN be used for BIOL, CHEM, MATH, and PHYS courses for BIOINFORMATICS students, however a “C” or above will be required in CMSC coursework AND gateway GPA requirements must be reviewed/approved by the Undergraduate Program Director — Dr. Maricel Kann.
MATHEMATICS, PHYSICS, & STATISTICS majors /minors should refer to their respective advising contacts for additional information.
- Professional and Faculty Advisors will be available for remote advising support however each advisor may be using different communication platforms — including but not limited to — email, Google Voice, WebEx, and Google Hangouts Meet. To confirm how your assigned advisor will be conducting their appointments please be sure to email them directly.
- Summer registration does not require advising clearance and is already available to students. Additional information regarding summer registration as well as course offerings can be found at summer.umbc.edu.
- Be sure to discuss your summer plans with your assigned advisor to ensure that they are in your best interest and that their subsequent fall course recommendations align appropriately.
- Please contact your advisor if you are planning to take courses at another institution during the summer session. All courses that are taken elsewhere require a Verification of Transferability Form and an advisors signature if you are intending to take a major-related course.
FALL REGISTRATION CLEARANCE
- All students must seek advising clearance prior to registration.
- Advising assignments and instructions were sent to UMBC student emails in mid-March.
- An online version of the advising assignment charts and faculty key/contact information can be found here.
- Students assigned to CNMS Advising Staff for registration clearance and support will be able to schedule telephone appointments via their assigned advisor’s online scheduling page.
- Students assigned to faculty advisors will want to reach out to them directly (e-mails preferred) for their specific remote advising procedures.
- The registration timeline remains unchanged. To view your specific date and time for registration see here and/or confirm via your myUMBC Student Guide.
- All incoming students (freshmen and transfer) need to sign up for New Student Orientation Day ASAP. You will have the opportunity to talk with the advising staff, ask questions, review your transfer coursework (if applicable), and register for classes as a part of that experience. Please visit our Prospective Students webpage for additional information and be on the lookout for email communication from the CNMS Advising Office in the week or so leading up to your scheduled Orientation session.